The effects of body image on self-esteem can be especially powerful during the teenage years. Although it’s perfectly normal to have negative thoughts and feelings towards yourself once in a while, finding ways to be positive is the key to building a healthy body image and positive self-esteem.
What is body image?
What is self-esteem?
Why is good self-esteem important?
- Courage to try new things
- Power to believe in yourself
- Confidence to make healthy choices for your mind and body now and throughout your life
Is there anything I can do if my self-esteem is low?
What can I do to improve my body image?
What are some ways to keep a positive attitude?
- Focusing on your unique qualities.
- Focusing on your education: Learning gives you the power to make a difference in your life and in the lives of others.
- Participating in a variety of sports or activities: This can be a great way to stay healthy and fit, which adds to a positive body image.
- Taking up a new hobby or learning to play an instrument: Have you ever wanted to play the guitar? Maybe you want to learn how to play chess. Take time to find your hidden talents!
- Setting and reaching new goals: Having something to look forward to can give you a sense of pride and help you work through different challenges throughout your life.
- Being an inspiration to others: If you thought of your own ways to cope with social situations and find confidence, you may find it rewarding to share advice and offer encouragement to others.